1. All entrants must be New Zealand residents. Those who live or work overseas but retain residency are eligible, provided they supply a return New Zealand address and cover all customs duty and associated costs.
2. All styles of work are acceptable for entry providing the work is predominantly made from ceramic materials or substantively addresses ceramic culture and practice. This will be determined at the discretion of each year’s judge, whose decision is final. Each artist may submit up to two entries.
3. All entries must be the original work, in concept and design, of the entrant and executed within the last 12 months prior to the date of entry. No work is to have been previously exhibited. Joint entries are permitted but all parties must be acknowledged on the entry form and all parties must agree to the terms and conditions; they will then be catalogued accordingly.
4. An entry fee of $30 (or $50 for two entries) must be included with the completed entry form, cheques to be made out to Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery. The entry fee is waived for subscribing Te Uru Members.
5. All entry forms are to be accompanied by image uploads or a named CD/USB with up to four images per work. At least one of the images must depict the full work; all others may be details. Work submitted that does not match the images will be disqualified.
6. Entrants must complete and sign the official entry form. Only entries accompanied by this form (or a photocopy of it) will be accepted. Online submissions exempt.
7. The entry form, images, fee and statement must be at Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery by 4pm on the due date. (Refer to Key Dates.)
8. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances.
9. The 2018 judge will be announced at a later date.
10. The judge will make an initial selection for the exhibition from the images submitted. These entrants will be notified and requested to send their works to Te Uru. Entrants will receive notification about the final selection. Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony. No prior notice is given. One outstanding entry will win the Premier Award of $15,000. Merit Awards, to a total value of $3,000, will also be made. The People’s Choice Award of $1,000 will be announced at the close of the exhibition. The Premier award-winning work will be purchased by and become part of the Portage Trust collection.
11. The judge’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the awards, exhibition or any decision made by the judge.
12. Requested works for final selection need to be addressed to: Te Uru, 420 Titirangi Road, Titirangi 0604, marked: Portage Ceramic Awards, and arrive at Te Uru by 4.00pm on the due day. Packaging must be clearly labelled with the entrant’s name.
13. Te Uru and the judge have the right to withdraw from the exhibition any work if it is considered to be significantly different from the work illustrated in submitted images and if it is of a quality considered unsuitable for exhibition.
14. Freight to Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery and transit insurance is the responsibility of the entrant. Te Uru accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage that occurs to the work during transit to the gallery. Te Uru will insure all works on the premises. Works not selected for the final selection will be returned by courier at Te Uru’s expense after the Awards Night.
15. Work that arrives in a damaged condition is restored at the artist’s expense and only with the permission of the artist. Restoration is undertaken at the discretion of Te Uru, taking into account the degree of damage and time constraints. Restoration may invalidate the work from being for sale but not from the judging.
16. Te Uru reserves the right to photograph and reproduce selected work for publications relating to the Portage Ceramic Awards and for archival purposes. The online submission or signed paper entry form is evidence of the entrant’s consent. All personal information gathered by the gallery will be used solely for the purpose of administering the Portage Ceramic Awards.
17. All works must be for sale and all works will be sold by Te Uru at the nominated retail price, which is inclusive of GST. Te Uru will take a gross commission of 40% on all sales. Therefore the nominated retail price should be fully inclusive of all commission and GST. Should the artist have a relationship with a dealer gallery, then any further commission required by that dealer is from the artist’s net proceeds and is a transaction that takes place between the artist and their dealer gallery without Te Uru’s involvement.
Image: Mel Ford, Roll: 10,560