Help keep Te Uru humming.

Living through the COVID-19 lockdown has reminded us how music, performing and visual arts, and creative endeavour of all kinds, can nurture, delight and refresh us as human beings. It enables us to express ourselves and to engage with those around us.

Arts and culture will play a significant role in our recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. The arts are the heartbeat of Tamaki Makaurau and define who we are. Arts activities will play a major role in recreating a thriving city. The arts are a catalyst for confident, resilient, and cohesive communities. They comfort and encourage us in a world that looks uncertain. They are integral to society and critical to a community’s mental and physical wellbeing. But we need your support to keep the arts alive in Auckland.

Te Uru provides a home to arts and creativity in Tamaki Makaurau. We are delighted to be open with a new suite of exhibitions but we need your help to keep delivering programmes. The COVID-19 closure has hit our cashflow hard, also disrupting funding programmes, so we have experienced a major loss of revenue. As a registered charity, each year we usually receive approximately 60% of our operating budget from Auckland Council – this is currently unconfirmed. The remaining 40% comes from other sources such as trusts, foundations, fundraising activities, visitor donations, shop income, education, workshops, public programmes and other funding sources, all of which was lost during lockdown. Even before the pandemic took hold, Te Uru had been experiencing hardship with reduced funding and people choosing to isolate for safety.

In response to the pandemic, all staff have taken a pay cut and we’re receiving the government’s wage subsidy. We have found other short-term measures to cut costs, but this will have a ripple effect on the wider community. Unfortunately, these measures are not enough but we are fighting to close that gap!

By supporting Te Uru, you help maintain a diverse, vibrant and creative city. Te Uru plays a significant leadership role in promoting our community and supporting those who operate in this area. Your funds will benefit the entire community. Your contribution to Te Uru’s operational costs will help maintain vital infrastructure for creatives and ensure their work is accessible to the people of Aotearoa. Donations help enable everything we do, ensuring that everyone in our community has free access to art.

Your donation will help us to continue to provide a vibrant art scene in West Auckland. You can make a bank deposit, click one of the Poli buttons on our website, use our contact-less donation box at the gallery or contact us for further enquiries or to set up payroll giving. All donations over $5 may be tax deductible so please let us know should you require a receipt for tax purposes.

Account: Te Uru Gallery
Bank: ASB Lynmall
Number: 12-3100-0140450-51

Te Uru Waitakere Contemporary Gallery Incorporated is a registered charity – CC41215